Man stabbed outside Ore. Planned Parenthood
GRANTS PASS, Ore.A confrontation outside a southern Oregon Planned Parenthood health center on Tuesday ended with a protester stabbing another man, police said.
Earlier in the day, a woman argued with the demonstrator outside the health center. She returned later with a man who then attacked the protester, Grants Pass police Lt. Dennis Ward said.
The man was stabbed multiple times in the abdomen and at least once in the neck, police said. There was no immediate word on his condition.
The demonstrator had signs denouncing abortion and Planned Parenthood, but Planned Parenthood for Southwestern Oregon spokeswoman Sarah Mosely said the clinic only provides health services, and doesn't perform abortions.
"We don't have a lot of details," she said. "It just appears to be a tragic situation. Our thoughts are with the people who have been injured and their loved ones."
Police handcuffed the protester, who had blood on his clothing, the Grants Pass Daily Courier reported. The protester was being detained during the investigation, Ward said.
Police didn't immediately release the name of either man.
Neighbor Charlotte Cook said the protester would accost people coming and going through the area.
"It was an accident looking for a place to happen," she said.
Cherie Adams said he would yell obscenities at her when she walked past him, and she changed her route to work.
"He's been out there for months," she said. "He's screaming at people.
"I had a feeling something like this would happen."
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 230 Comments
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash. 137 Comments
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys 1055 Comments
- Earthquake, multiple aftershocks jolt Californians
- Clean-up efforts underway in Okla. 29 Photos