Pa. girl in costume mistaken for skunk, shot
FREEDOM, Pa. Police say a costumed 9-year-old girl was accidentally shot outside a western Pennsylvania home during a Halloween party by a relative who thought she was a skunk.
New Sewickley Township police say the girl was over a hillside and wearing a black costume and a black hat with a white tassel.
Chief Ronald Leindecker says a male relative mistook her for a skunk and fired a shotgun, hitting her in the shoulder Saturday night.
Leindecker tells the Beaver County Times that the girl was alert and talking when she was flown to a hospital in Pittsburgh, about 30 miles away. Her condition was unavailable.
Leindecker says the man hadn't been drinking and he doesn't know whether charges will be filed.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Officials confirm there's only 1 winning Powerball ticket
- Long Island police defend Hofstra student killing 74 Comments
- 1 winning ticket sold in Fla. on Powerball
- Powerball frenzy locks down most possible number combos
- Authorities: N.Y. college student was killed by police 53 Comments
- The War in Chicago
- Crash in small Va. town injures dozens during parade
- Seven-time lottery winner shares secret to winning Powerball