2 off-duty Fla. officers fatally shoot naked woman
TAMPA, Fla. Authorities say two off-duty Florida law-enforcement officers have fatally shot an armed, naked woman who confronted them at a social gathering.
The shooting occurred sometime Saturday in Hernando County.
The county sheriff's office said in a news release that the men were approached by an "armed, naked and irrational female." The news release does not identify the weapon, but it says "one or both of the law enforcement officers fired their weapons, striking the female." She died at the scene.
Both officers have been placed on administrative leave as the Florida Department of Law Enforcement investigates.
Authorities have identified the officers as Hernando County sheriff's Detective Rocky Howard and Tampa police officer William Mechler, who have served six and four years, respectively. Tampa police say Mechler was "off duty and acting in the capacity of a private citizen."
Popular on CBSNews.com
- TWA Flight 800 gets another look 17 years later 106 Comments
- America's endangered historic places 11 Photos
- FBI: No sign of Jimmy Hoffa's body in Detroit suburb 58 Comments
- Serena Williams sorry for "what I supposedly said" on rape 56 Comments
- Reporter Michael Hastings dies at 33 52 Comments
- TWA Flight 800 disaster - a look back 19 Photos
- Scientists say shipwreck timber in Lake Michigan centuries old
- 3 football players charged in Naval Academy rape case