Pregnant NYC woman found slain day before wedding
NEW YORK Police and witnesses say a woman who was eight months pregnant has been found stabbed to death inside her New York home a day before her wedding.
Vindalee Smith was found inside her basement in the East Flatbush section of Brooklyn on Saturday morning. The 38-year-old had been stabbed in the neck. It's not clear how long she had been dead before authorities found her.
Witnesses told the New York Post that Smith was supposed to be married on Sunday and that she had been living at the apartment for a few weeks while her four other children stayed with family friends.
They told the newspaper she had received death threats from a former neighbor at a previous address, but they stopped when she moved.
Police were looking for suspects.
Popular on CBSNews.com
Photos: Underground shots of NYC's Second Ave. subway project New York City's Second Ave. subway was first conceived almost a century ago and when it is completed, it will extend all the way down the eastern side of Manhattan with 16 new stations. CBS News' Don Dahler reports on one of the most challenging public works projects in the country.
- Reporter Michael Hastings dies at 33
- Report: U.S. teacher training an "industry of mediocrity"
- Girl who lost feet in lawnmower gets prosthetics
- Tornado briefly touches down on Denver airport runways
- FAA approval sought for 650-foot-tall Vegas thrill ride
- Day care worker accused of drugging snacks for nap-time
- Report: Pregnant workers face routine discrimination
- Shock as alleged Nazi unit leader, 94, found in U.S