Wisconsin towns argue: Whose sausage is bigger?
Workers lay a giant brat down on an outdoor grill as a crew from Ptacek's IGA attempts to set a world record for the longest brat in Prescott, Wis. on October 6, 2012. / Scott Takushi,AP Photo/Pioneer Press
PRESCOTT, Wis. Two western Wisconsin communities are disputing who gets bragging rights to the biggest bratwurst.
The conflict started after last week's news accounts of Prescott's world-record-setting bratwurst, which was 52 feet, 2 inches.
A local grocery store grilled it for its centennial and then put it in an equally as long bun.
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports some in Dallas, Wis., heard about it and got steamed. They've grilled big bratwursts the last four years for Oktoberfest and this year's was 135 feet long.
But Dallas didn't get the official record because they didn't use a bun and didn't pay the $1,900 fee to the World Record Academy in Florida.
Dallas-based Valkyrie Brewing Co. notes on its website that all the brats they've grilled since 2009 are longer than Prescott's.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- TWA Flight 800 gets another look 17 years later 80 Comments
- America's endangered historic places 11 Photos
- Reporter Michael Hastings dies at 33
- FBI: No sign of Jimmy Hoffa's body in Detroit suburb
- Taliban: We killed 4 U.S. troops at Afghan air base
- Scientists say shipwreck timber in Lake Michigan centuries old
- Google asks FISA court to lift gag order on NSA requests
- Snakes on a plane: Texas man smuggles 7 live serpents