Chrysler recalls trucks over axle nut issue
2010 model year Ram 1500 truck. / Chrysler
DETROIT Chrysler says it's recalling Ram 1500 and Dodge Dakota trucks from the 2009-2010 model year because a lack of adhesive may cause the rear axle pinion nut to loosen.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Saturday that if the part loosens, the axle can lock up, and the vehicle could lose control. That potentially could result in a crash.
The agency says there have been 12 reports of rear axle failure, including four that resulted in a loss of vehicle control. The driver crashed into a concrete barrier in one case.
The recall involves 44,300 vehicles manufactured from July 1 to Nov. 30, 2009.
Chrysler will notify owners of the recall beginning next month. Dealers will install a retainer to secure the pinion nut free of charge.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Tsarnaev friend implicates dead brother, self in murders 141 Comments
- Tornado victims start picking up the pieces
- Tornado's destructive path 17 Photos
- Up-close video of Moore, Okla., tornado Play Video
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video
- Deadliest U.S. tornadoes 10 Photos
- Victims of deadly Oklahoma tornado 6 Photos
- Brigadier general suspended over altercation with woman