Horse shot 58 times with BB gun, on the mend
RANCHO PALOS VERDES A horse that was shot 58 times with a BB gun is now on the road to recovery, after a California community came to her aid, CBS Los Angeles reported.
ASPCA officials discovered the horse, named Calamity Jane, in August. The 10-year-old mare had reportedly been neglected by her owner and was not expected to survive.
But Stacey Cohen, of Rancho Palos Verdes, rescued the animal, determined to help Calamity Jane recover.
"Something about her story just drew me," Cohen said.
Cohen found a local veterinarian who was willing to perform pro bono surgery on the animal, whose pellet wounds have yet to heal. The operation is scheduled for Tuesday.
"So many people have wanted to help her. It took all these people to come together. That's what the miracle was," Cohen said.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Tornado victims start picking up the pieces
- Tsarnaev friend implicates dead brother, self in murders
- Tornado's destructive path 17 Photos
- Brigadier general suspended over altercation with woman
- Up-close video of Moore, Okla., tornado Play Video
- Deadliest U.S. tornadoes 10 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video
- At least 51 dead after massive Okla. tornado