Horse shot 58 times with BB gun, on the mend
RANCHO PALOS VERDES A horse that was shot 58 times with a BB gun is now on the road to recovery, after a California community came to her aid, CBS Los Angeles reported.
ASPCA officials discovered the horse, named Calamity Jane, in August. The 10-year-old mare had reportedly been neglected by her owner and was not expected to survive.
But Stacey Cohen, of Rancho Palos Verdes, rescued the animal, determined to help Calamity Jane recover.
"Something about her story just drew me," Cohen said.
Cohen found a local veterinarian who was willing to perform pro bono surgery on the animal, whose pellet wounds have yet to heal. The operation is scheduled for Tuesday.
"So many people have wanted to help her. It took all these people to come together. That's what the miracle was," Cohen said.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights 130 Comments
- Massive train collision takes down highway overpass
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- Thousands of U.S. bridges vulnerable to collapse
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 327 Comments
- Deadly Angel Flight crash in upstate New York
- Frantic 911 calls reveal chaos in Okla., following tornado