Mom, 5 kids jump from apartment to escape fire
A New Jersey woman and her five children jumped from the window of a third-floor apartment early Wednesday after a fire engulfed the residence, CBS New York reported.
The fire broke out in the Newark apartment at approximately 12:30 a.m., hours after the family moved from a shelter into the home, according to CBS Radio station 1010 WINS.
Surrounded by flames and smoke, the family began leaping from an apartment window. Neighbors attempted to break the victims' falls on the ground below.
"As they were jumping out, smoke - thick smoke - was just coming out rushing. The kids were jumping out. I couldn't believe that. We were literally catching them out of the window," said neighbor Christopher Calypso.
The 39-year-old woman and her children, who range in age from six to 17, were transported to a nearby hospital. All of the victims were reportedly in stable condition.
Officials believe the fire was sparked by an unattended candle in the bathroom of the apartment. It took firefighters about 20 minutes to control the blaze.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash. 112 Comments
- Young victims of deadly Okla. tornado 10 Photos
- Clean-up efforts underway in Okla. 29 Photos
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys 426 Comments
- Kids, teachers from destroyed Okla. school reunite
- Forecasters warn: Up to 6 major storms this season
- First funeral held for young Oklahoma tornado victim
- Kansas reporters run for tornado shelter during newscast