"Windseeker" ride strands fun-seekers at 300 feet almost 4 hours
People on Windseeker ride at Knott's Berry Farm stuck few hundred feet off ground Wednesday / AP Photo/The Orange County Register, Rod Veal
BUENA PARK, Calif. (CBS/AP) Twenty riders expecting a three-minute thrill were left dangling at 300 feet for nearly four hours when the Windseeker ride at Southern California's Knott's Berry Farm amusement park stalled.
Knott's said in a statement that the ride, which lifts fun-seekers high over the park with their legs dangling and spins them in a circle, came to a stop when its security system activated at about 4 p.m. Wednesday.
TV cameras showed riders sitting calmly as they dangled and the sun set, some casually swinging their legs.
Maintenance workers brought all the riders safely to the ground between 7:30 and 8, long after the park had closed and night had fallen.
Knott's says the ride, which also left riders hanging on Sept. 7, will remain closed while the cause is investigated.
The WindSeeker has 32 gondolas that rise up and whirl riders at a 45-degree angle, at eight rotations per minute, according to the park's website.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Massive tornado hits Okla. 60 Photos
- Mile-wide tornado rips through Oklahoma City area
- Children rescued from elementary school in Okla. 11 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado carves trail of destruction Play Video
- At least 51 dead after massive Okla. tornado
- Severe tornado tears through Oklahoma City suburb Play Video
- Record Fla. Powerball winner can't remain anonymous
- Oklahoma tornado kills at least 51, including 20 children