Olympic gold medalist Shaun White charged with public intoxication, vandalism
This photo provided by the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department shows Shaun White. / AP Photo/Metropolitan Nashville Police Department
(AP) NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Authorities say two-time Olympic gold medalist snowboarder Shaun White has been charged with public intoxication and vandalism after an incident at a Nashville hotel.
According to a police affidavit, White tried to attack a hotel guest who had followed him out of the hotel early Sunday morning. When the guest told White he had called the police, the skateboarder "attempted to attack the man and fell and hit his head."
The report says White appeared to be drunk.
Celebrity mug shots
A separate affidavit states that White deliberately broke a phone belonging to the hotel.
Police say he was given the opportunity to sign misdemeanor citations and refused.
A spokeswoman for Baptist Hospital said White was treated there and released on Monday.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- TWA Flight 800 gets another look 17 years later 64 Comments
- America's endangered historic places 11 Photos
- Reporter Michael Hastings dies at 33
- FBI: No sign of Jimmy Hoffa's body in Detroit suburb
- Taliban: We killed 4 U.S. troops at Afghan air base
- Scientists say shipwreck timber in Lake Michigan centuries old
- Google asks FISA court to lift gag order on NSA requests
- Snakes on a plane: Texas man smuggles 7 live serpents