Olympic gold medalist Shaun White charged with public intoxication, vandalism
This photo provided by the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department shows Shaun White. / AP Photo/Metropolitan Nashville Police Department
(AP) NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Authorities say two-time Olympic gold medalist snowboarder Shaun White has been charged with public intoxication and vandalism after an incident at a Nashville hotel.
According to a police affidavit, White tried to attack a hotel guest who had followed him out of the hotel early Sunday morning. When the guest told White he had called the police, the skateboarder "attempted to attack the man and fell and hit his head."
The report says White appeared to be drunk.
Celebrity mug shots
A separate affidavit states that White deliberately broke a phone belonging to the hotel.
Police say he was given the opportunity to sign misdemeanor citations and refused.
A spokeswoman for Baptist Hospital said White was treated there and released on Monday.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 280 Comments
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash. 141 Comments
- Clean-up efforts underway in Okla. 29 Photos
- Earthquake, multiple aftershocks jolt Californians
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys 1125 Comments