2 killed in small plane crash near Atlanta
(AP) CUMMING, Ga. - Authorities say two people have been killed in a small plane crash near Atlanta.
Forsyth County Fire Division Chief Jason Shivers tells The Associated Press that the plane crashed Thursday night in a residential neighborhood near Lake Lanier.
Shivers said the crash occurred around 7:45 p.m. He said two passengers were onboard, but had no other details on them, the plane type or from where the flight originated. He said there were no injuries on the ground or damage to any homes.
A number of people were outside at the time and saw the plane come down.
Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Arlene Salac confirmed in an email that a plane carrying two people had crashed onto a residential road in north Georgia. She said FAA investigators were en route, and that they would then turn the matter over to the National Transportation Safety Board to determine the cause.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Tsarnaev friend implicates dead brother, self in murders 151 Comments
- Victims of deadly Oklahoma tornado 6 Photos
- Up-close video of Moore, Okla., tornado Play Video
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video
- AG Holder: Drones killed 4 Americans since 2009
- Tornado's destructive path 17 Photos
- Tornado victims start picking up the pieces
- Deadliest U.S. tornadoes 10 Photos