Des Moines police dog found dead in cruiser
(AP) DES MOINES, Iowa - Authorities say the brutal heat is suspected in the death of a Des Moines police dog found dead inside a patrol vehicle.
Des Moines television KCCI reports that Harley, a Labrador retriever assigned to the narcotics team, was found Wednesday afternoon. The temperature had already reached the low 90s.
Police Sgt. Chris Scott says Harley had been working with his human partner, Officer Brian Mathis, on Wednesday. Scott says it was Mathis who found Harley dead in the vehicle.
Investigators are checking how long Harley was left inside the vehicle and whether the air conditioner was on or some windows were rolled down.
Scott says the department has "lost a fellow officer who just happened to be a dog."
Popular on CBSNews.com
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash. 118 Comments
- Bridge section disappears in "big puff of dust"
- Washington state bridge collapses 17 Photos
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys 481 Comments
- Kansas reporters run for tornado shelter during newscast
- Clean-up efforts underway in Okla. 29 Photos
- Kids, teachers from destroyed Okla. school reunite
- Shelton, Underwood coming to aid of Oklahomans