Accused L.A. shooter was drunk: Police
Police cruisers parked on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles near where man allegedly fired shots from his balcony Monday / KCBS
(CBS/AP) LOS ANGELES Police say three people were detained at a Hollywood apartment and nearby homes and businesses evacuated after gunfire led to a search that uncovered weapons and possible explosives, most of which turned out to be fakes.
No one was injured.
One of those detained was later arrested, authorities told CBS station KCBS in Los Angeles.
Police spokeswoman Rudy Lopez says construction workers reported shots fired from the balcony of a third-floor apartment on Sunset Boulevard at about 3:30 p.m. Monday.
Two men and a woman were detained about 90 minutes later, and officers searching the apartment found a sawed-off shotgun along with another gun and what appeared to be a stick of dynamite, spurring evacuations for about a two-block radius, Lopez says.
Investigators believe the gunshot came from the sawed-off shotgun, and the second gun and the dynamite turned out to be replicas, possibly movie props, Lopez says.
He tells KCBS the suspected shooter, who had a police record, probably didn't intend to harm anyone.
"Based on his intoxicated state, I think he just got drunk and perhaps wasn't using the best sense at that time," Lopez noted. "I don't think he wanted to shoot anybody."
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 288 Comments
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- Frantic 911 calls reveal chaos in Okla., following tornado
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash. 141 Comments
- Baby gray foxes arrive at Ind. wolf park Play Video
- Clean-up efforts underway in Okla. 29 Photos