Police: Calif. man severed foot while driving
(AP) LIVERMORE, Calif. - Police say a man severed his foot in a California parking lot after sticking his leg out the door of his moving BMW. Authorities then arrested him on suspicion of drunken driving.
The Contra Costa Times reports 31-year-old John Buna severed his foot at the ankle Wednesday after hitting it on a cinder block during a reckless drive in a Livermore parking lot.
Police say a woman with Buna reported she exited his two-door BMW because she was frightened of his driving.
Authorities say Buna stuck his foot out the driver's side door as if he was exiting the car, but instead accelerated suddenly, crushing the foot between the car and the cinder block.
Police say Buna parked his car, and the woman called for help.
Police are still waiting for Buna's blood-alcohol results.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Serena Williams sorry for "what I supposedly said" on rape 71 Comments
- TWA Flight 800 gets another look 17 years later 112 Comments
- TWA Flight 800 disaster - a look back 19 Photos
- 3 football players charged in Naval Academy rape case
- FBI: No sign of Jimmy Hoffa's body in Detroit suburb 59 Comments
- America's endangered historic places 11 Photos
- FBI finds possible remains at gangster's NYC home
- Reporter Michael Hastings dies at 33