Police: Calif. man severed foot while driving
(AP) LIVERMORE, Calif. - Police say a man severed his foot in a California parking lot after sticking his leg out the door of his moving BMW. Authorities then arrested him on suspicion of drunken driving.
The Contra Costa Times reports 31-year-old John Buna severed his foot at the ankle Wednesday after hitting it on a cinder block during a reckless drive in a Livermore parking lot.
Police say a woman with Buna reported she exited his two-door BMW because she was frightened of his driving.
Authorities say Buna stuck his foot out the driver's side door as if he was exiting the car, but instead accelerated suddenly, crushing the foot between the car and the cinder block.
Police say Buna parked his car, and the woman called for help.
Police are still waiting for Buna's blood-alcohol results.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash. 129 Comments
- Authorities find cause of Wash. bridge collapse 64 Comments
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys 590 Comments
- Kansas reporters run for tornado shelter during newscast
- Clean-up efforts underway in Okla. 29 Photos
- Shelton, Underwood coming to aid of Oklahomans
- Kids, teachers from destroyed Okla. school reunite