Cops: Ohio man brought gun, knives to Batman screening
In this photo provided by the Westlake, Ohio, Police Department shows Scott A. Smith. / AP Photo/Westlake Police Department
(AP) WESTLAKE, Ohio - Ohio police say a man brought a gun, ammunition and several knives to a showing of the latest Batman movie so he could protect himself, not because he had sinister intentions.
Westlake Police Sgt. Mark Krumheuer said 37-year-old Scott A. Smith, of North Ridgeville, brought the weapons to a Saturday showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" for "his protection," but he would not elaborate.
Last month, a gunman killed 12 people at a showing of the same movie in Aurora, Colo.
Police say a theater manager and an off-duty police officer working security stopped Smith and found the weapons inside a bag they thought looked suspicious. Smith was arrested and remains jailed.
Krumheuer says Smith is expected to be indicted on weapons charges. A message was left for Smith's attorney.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash. 118 Comments
- Young victims of deadly Okla. tornado 10 Photos
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys 444 Comments
- Clean-up efforts underway in Okla. 29 Photos
- Washington state bridge collapses 8 Photos
- Kids, teachers from destroyed Okla. school reunite
- Kansas reporters run for tornado shelter during newscast
- No deaths as bridge collapse sends vehicles into river