Cops: Ohio man brought gun, knives to Batman screening
In this photo provided by the Westlake, Ohio, Police Department shows Scott A. Smith. / AP Photo/Westlake Police Department
(AP) WESTLAKE, Ohio - Ohio police say a man brought a gun, ammunition and several knives to a showing of the latest Batman movie so he could protect himself, not because he had sinister intentions.
Westlake Police Sgt. Mark Krumheuer said 37-year-old Scott A. Smith, of North Ridgeville, brought the weapons to a Saturday showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" for "his protection," but he would not elaborate.
Last month, a gunman killed 12 people at a showing of the same movie in Aurora, Colo.
Police say a theater manager and an off-duty police officer working security stopped Smith and found the weapons inside a bag they thought looked suspicious. Smith was arrested and remains jailed.
Krumheuer says Smith is expected to be indicted on weapons charges. A message was left for Smith's attorney.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Children rescued from two elementary schools in Oklahoma 19 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado recovery grinds on amid grim scenes 180 Comments
- Tornado's destructive path 17 Photos
- More severe weather expected after monster tornado
- Deadliest U.S. tornadoes 10 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video
- Twisters touch down in the Midwest 13 Photos
- Up-close video of Moore, Okla., tornado Play Video