John Wise due in court after allegedly shooting wife in her Ohio hospital bed
(AP) AKRON, Ohio - An Ohio man is going to be arraigned on a charge that he shot his wife in a hospital intensive care unit.
Authorities say 65-year-old Barbara Wise was declared brain dead at Akron General Medical Center Sunday night.
Akron police said 66-year-old John Wise of Massillon entered his wife's room Saturday and shot her while standing at her bedside. He'll be arraigned Monday.
Capt. Dan Zampelli told the Akron Beacon Journal that the shooting may have been an attempted mercy killing.
Zampelli said "it seems to be slanting that way. He wanted to take away her suffering."
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Wave of tornadoes sweeps Midwest 13 Photos
- Deadly twisters tear through Oklahoma
- Firefighter killed in massive Dallas condo fire
- Could cop have avoided accidentally killing NY student? 123 Comments
- Long Island police defend Hofstra student killing 318 Comments
- Small Fla. town wonders who the Powerball winner is
- 2 FBI agents die in training accident off Virginia coast
- Officials confirm there's only 1 winning Powerball ticket