John Wise due in court after allegedly shooting wife in her Ohio hospital bed
(AP) AKRON, Ohio - An Ohio man is going to be arraigned on a charge that he shot his wife in a hospital intensive care unit.
Authorities say 65-year-old Barbara Wise was declared brain dead at Akron General Medical Center Sunday night.
Akron police said 66-year-old John Wise of Massillon entered his wife's room Saturday and shot her while standing at her bedside. He'll be arraigned Monday.
Capt. Dan Zampelli told the Akron Beacon Journal that the shooting may have been an attempted mercy killing.
Zampelli said "it seems to be slanting that way. He wanted to take away her suffering."
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights
- Massive train collision takes down highway overpass
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 324 Comments
- Deadly Angel Flight crash in upstate New York
- Frantic 911 calls reveal chaos in Okla., following tornado
- Sandy-shocked Jersey Shore seeks summer comeback