Gunman kills self on UConn campus, police say
(AP) GROTON, Conn. - State police say a gunman at the University of Connecticut's Avery Point campus has committed suicide.
Lt. J. Paul Vance, a department spokesman, says hours of negotiations and the use of non-lethal tactics ended when the man turned a gun on himself before dawn Tuesday.
Vance says the incident began at about 5 p.m. Monday when Groton police began looking for local man who was armed and despondent.
The man's car was found at about 10 p.m. at Avery Point, prompting police to close the campus.
The gunman was found on the shore. Vance says police spent hours talking to the man, who threw away a cell phone, and eventually shot himself.
His name has not been released. The school was set to reopen at 8 a.m.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Young victims of deadly Okla. tornado 10 Photos
- Clean-up efforts underway in Okla. 29 Photos
- Forecasters warn: Up to 6 major storms this season
- OKC police correct damage estimate to 12K homes
- Tsarnaev friend implicates dead brother, self in murders
- First funeral held for young Oklahoma tornado victim
- Boy Scouts to vote on allowing openly gay members 213 Comments
- Body of child recovered from deadly Minn. landslide