Gunman kills self on UConn campus, police say
(AP) GROTON, Conn. - State police say a gunman at the University of Connecticut's Avery Point campus has committed suicide.
Lt. J. Paul Vance, a department spokesman, says hours of negotiations and the use of non-lethal tactics ended when the man turned a gun on himself before dawn Tuesday.
Vance says the incident began at about 5 p.m. Monday when Groton police began looking for local man who was armed and despondent.
The man's car was found at about 10 p.m. at Avery Point, prompting police to close the campus.
The gunman was found on the shore. Vance says police spent hours talking to the man, who threw away a cell phone, and eventually shot himself.
His name has not been released. The school was set to reopen at 8 a.m.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Children rescued from two elementary schools in Oklahoma 19 Photos
- Tornado's destructive path 17 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado recovery grinds on amid grim scenes
- More severe weather expected after monster tornado
- Deadliest U.S. tornadoes 10 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado victim search efforts winding down
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video
- Up-close video of Moore, Okla., tornado Play Video