Gunman kills self on UConn campus, police say
(AP) GROTON, Conn. - State police say a gunman at the University of Connecticut's Avery Point campus has committed suicide.
Lt. J. Paul Vance, a department spokesman, says hours of negotiations and the use of non-lethal tactics ended when the man turned a gun on himself before dawn Tuesday.
Vance says the incident began at about 5 p.m. Monday when Groton police began looking for local man who was armed and despondent.
The man's car was found at about 10 p.m. at Avery Point, prompting police to close the campus.
The gunman was found on the shore. Vance says police spent hours talking to the man, who threw away a cell phone, and eventually shot himself.
His name has not been released. The school was set to reopen at 8 a.m.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Probe begins after Conn. commuter trains collide
- O.J. Simpson's ex-lawyer contradicts his testimony on guns 48 Comments
- Dozens injured as commuter trains collide in Conn.
- Seven-time lottery winner shares secret to winning Powerball
- Why marry? Three generations tell their wedding stories
- New Yorker's Strongbox: Can it shield anonymous sources?
- Tornadoes rip through northern Texas 17 Photos
- Navy pilot earns degree in combat zone