Troopers: NY cop shoots and kills son in hotel
(AP) OLD FORGE, N.Y. - State troopers say a police officer in New York shot and killed his son, mistaking him for an intruder.
Troopers say Parry Police Department Officer Michael Leach called 911 to report the shooting early Saturday. He was staying at the Clark Beach Motel and shot someone he believed to be an intruder. But the man turned out to be his 37-year-old son, Matthew Leach, according to the Syracuse Post-Standard.
Troopers say Leach used his department-issued .45-caliber Glock handgun in the shooting. He was hospitalized after the shooting.
The investigation is continuing.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Firsthand look at MTA mega-digs 11 Photos
- Disruptive man on United jet taken off flight
- 94-year-old Minn. man linked to Nazi atrocities
- Feds digging in Mich. field for Jimmy Hoffa's remains
- Church shooting in Ogden, Utah not a random act of violence Play Video
- Former hitman testifies at "Whitey" Bulger trial
- Day care worker accused of drugging snacks for nap-time
- 5 teens killed in fiery Orange County car crash