Dirty lettuce photo gets 3 Burger King workers fired
Someone anonymously posted the above picture on 4chan.org with the caption "this is the lettuce you eat at Burger King." / WOIO
(CBS/AP) MAYFIELD HEIGHTS, Ohio - Burger King says three workers were fired after a photo posted online appeared to show an employee stepping on lettuce in bins at a northwest Ohio restaurant.
The hamburger chain's statements to Ohio news outlets didn't directly confirm reports that the picture was taken at a restaurant in the Cleveland suburb of Mayfield Heights.
Burger King Corp. says the franchisee that runs the independently operated restaurant quickly investigated the matter, and three employees were terminated.
The company says it won't tolerate such violations of its strict procedures for safely handling food.
It didn't comment on the circumstances in which the photo was taken. News outlets say the picture was posted on the free-for-all website 4chan.org, and GPS data embedded in the photo led to the restaurant.
A screenshot obtained by CBS Cleveland affiliate WOIO shows how the computer-savvy sleuths -- who call themselves "anons," tracked down the restaurant's location.
"Enjoyed getting fired," posted one of the anonymous commentators, along with the address of the Burger King he or she tracked down.
Burger King Corp. is a unit of Burger King Worldwide Inc.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights 137 Comments
- Massive train collision takes down highway overpass
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Thousands of U.S. bridges vulnerable to collapse
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 329 Comments
- Deadly Angel Flight crash in upstate New York
- Texas flooding turns deadly