Dallas pastor dies after giving sermon to congregation
Rev. Jerome McNeil, Senior Pastor of Christian Chapel CME Church in Dallas, collapsed and died after delivering a Sunday morning sermon. / CBSDFW.com
(CBS News) DALLAS - A veteran Texas pastor gave the last sermon of his life Sunday, collapsing and dying in front of a crowded sanctuary of churchgoers after preaching that morning.
Rev. Jerome McNeil, Senior Pastor of Christian Chapel CME Church in Dallas, had served the community there for 21 years, reported CBS local affiliate KTVT.
"All of a sudden I heard a thud and I didn't know what it was. I looked around and he was gone," church member Cherry Bullard told KTVT correspondent Steve Pickett. "It hurts to even think about it, but he's in a better place."
McNeil's charismatic leadership helped the 150-year-old institution known as the Temple of Faith expand from a small chapel to a church that now has 7,000 members.
Before he was a pastor, he was the first black administrator for a Dallas County agency, second in command for the Juvenile Department in 1981.
Popular on CBSNews.com
Photos: Underground shots of NYC's Second Ave. subway project New York City's Second Ave. subway was first conceived almost a century ago and when it is completed, it will extend all the way down the eastern side of Manhattan with 16 new stations. CBS News' Don Dahler reports on one of the most challenging public works projects in the country.
- Reporter Michael Hastings dies at 33
- Girl who lost feet in lawnmower gets prosthetics
- Report: U.S. teacher training an "industry of mediocrity"
- Tornado briefly touches down on Denver airport runways
- FAA approval sought for 650-foot-tall Vegas thrill ride
- Day care worker accused of drugging snacks for nap-time
- Report: Pregnant workers face routine discrimination
- Scientists say shipwreck timber in Lake Michigan centuries old