Ind. police: Boy, 3, fatally shot father
(AP) SALEM, Ind. - Police say a 3-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed his father after finding the man's loaded handgun in a southern Indiana home.
Indiana State Police Sgt. Jerry Goodin says the 33-year-old Martinsville man had brought his gun with him Friday to a home he was remodeling in Salem, about 25 miles northwest of Louisville, Ky.
Goodin says the man, his wife, their three children and a juvenile relative were at the home when the 3-year-old boy apparently found the gun and it accidentally discharged, fatally wounding the man. No one else was injured.
Goodin says the case remains under investigation and prosecutors will determine if any adult should face charges. He calls the case a "tragic accident and a tragic mistake" of leaving a gun within a child's reach.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Young victims of deadly Okla. tornado 8 Photos
- Tsarnaev friend implicates dead brother, self in murders 163 Comments
- Clean-up efforts underway in Okla. 29 Photos
- Boy Scouts to vote on allowing openly gay members 61 Comments
- Minn. park landslide leaves 1 child dead, 1 missing
- Hard recovery in store after Okla. tornado's devastation
- Body of child recovered from deadly Minn. landslide
- Up-close video of Moore, Okla., tornado Play Video