Ohio woman turns 90, celebrates on roller coaster
In this photo provided by Kings Island, Thelma Gratsch, center, celebrates her 90th birthday Friday, July 13, 2012, by riding her favorite roller coaster, Diamondback, at Kings Island amusement park in Mason, Ohio. / Don Helbig,AP Photo Kings Island
(AP) MASON, Ohio - An Ohio woman has spent her 90th birthday doing one of her favorite things: whizzing around the tracks of a roller coaster at 80 mph.
The Kings Island amusement park says Thelma Gratsch took a ride on the Diamondback coaster to celebrate her milestone birthday on Friday. The 230-foot-high steel ride is the tallest and fastest coaster at the park near Cincinnati.
The Mount Lookout woman guesses she's ridden the Diamondback more than 100 times since it debuted in 2009.
Park officials believe she's the oldest guest to have taken a spin on the ride. Gratsch has had a Kings Island season pass every year since they were introduced in 1979.
Popular on CBSNews.com
Photos: Underground shots of NYC's Second Ave. subway project New York City's Second Ave. subway was first conceived almost a century ago and when it is completed, it will extend all the way down the eastern side of Manhattan with 16 new stations. CBS News' Don Dahler reports on one of the most challenging public works projects in the country.
- Reporter Michael Hastings dies at 33
- Google asks FISA court to lift gag order on NSA requests
- Tornado briefly touches down on Denver airport runways
- Scientists say shipwreck timber in Lake Michigan centuries old
- Girl who lost feet in lawnmower gets prosthetics
- Taliban: We killed 4 U.S. troops at Afghan air base
- Report: U.S. teacher training an "industry of mediocrity"
- FAA approval sought for 650-foot-tall Vegas thrill ride