NH baby hospitalized for burns after falling into hot washing machine
(CBS News) A 5-month-old boy from New Hampshire is recovering from burns to 90 percent of his body after falling into a washing machine.
The infant, who Manchester police identified as Shea Giampetruzzi, was rushed to Catholic Medical Center and then flown to Massachusetts General Hospital Tuesday night to be treated for the burns. He is expected to be transferred Shriners Hospital for Children, which specializes in pediatric burn care.
Police said that the washing machine was set to hot when the baby had been placed on a diaper changing area adjacent to the laundry machines.
The boy's mother said she turned her back for a second and he accidentally fell into the water, fire officials told CBS Boston.
A preliminary investigation suggests the infant's injuries were the result of an accident.
His condition was not immediately known.
Popular on CBSNews.com
Photos: Underground shots of NYC's Second Ave. subway project New York City's Second Ave. subway was first conceived almost a century ago and when it is completed, it will extend all the way down the eastern side of Manhattan with 16 new stations. CBS News' Don Dahler reports on one of the most challenging public works projects in the country.
- Reporter Michael Hastings dies at 33
- Google asks FISA court to lift gag order on NSA requests
- Girl who lost feet in lawnmower gets prosthetics
- Tornado briefly touches down on Denver airport runways
- Scientists say shipwreck timber in Lake Michigan centuries old
- FAA approval sought for 650-foot-tall Vegas thrill ride
- Report: U.S. teacher training an "industry of mediocrity"
- Taliban: We killed 4 U.S. troops at Afghan air base