$3.2M yacht sinks in Lake Tahoe marina
The luxury yacht the Sierra Rose, sits partially submerged at its Tahoe Keys Marina dock Monday, July 9, 2012 in South Lake Tahoe, Calif. / Adam Jensen,AP Photo/ Tahoe Daily Tribune
(AP) SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif. A three-story, $3.2 million yacht that sunk in a Lake Tahoe marina is so far leaking no sewage or fuel into the water, but officials say they're keeping an eye on it.
El Dorado County Environmental Health Manager Barbara Houghton said Tuesday the 86-foot Sierra Rose is sealed, but inspectors will monitor efforts to pull it out of the Tahoe Keys Marina, just in case.
The yacht apparently started sinking slowly Sunday night and had reached the marina bottom by Monday morning, though the top floor remained above water Tuesday.
It's not clear what caused the boat to sink, but neighbors reported hearing the sound of tearing metal Sunday night. Witness Heather Contreras tells the Tahoe Daily Tribune more than a dozen people were on the vessel at the time but everyone made it off.
The Reno Gazette-Journal reports a big-screen TV, leather couches and floating slices of bread were visible inside the partially submerged yacht.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 284 Comments
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash. 141 Comments
- Frantic 911 calls reveal chaos in Okla., following tornado
- Clean-up efforts underway in Okla. 29 Photos
- Earthquake, multiple aftershocks jolt Californians