Truck drives over tent in N.D., 2 kids die
Don Murray/Getty Images
(CBS/AP) BISMARCK, N.D. - Prosecutors say they have charged a pickup driver accused of killing two young brothers from Texas and injuring two others when he lost control of his vehicle and drove over their tent at a North Dakota campground.
Bottineau County prosecutor Swain Benson says 30-year-old Juan Acosta is charged with two counts of manslaughter, two counts of reckless endangerment, one count of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, and drunken driving.
Acosta, of Newburg, is expected to appear in court on Tuesday.
The Highway Patrol says Acosta lost control of his truck shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday in the Hahn's Bay Campground at Lake Metigoshe.
The patrol says the truck drove over the tent, killing a 5-year-old boy and a 9-year-old boy and injuring another 9-year-boy and a man.
The truck then crashed into a tree.
Troopers say 28-year-old Juan Ruiz of El Paso, Texas, was flown to a Minot hospital with serious injuries. The surviving 9-year-old has minor injuries. The patrol only identified Ruiz.
The driver also received minor injuries, reports the Minot Daily News. Two passengers in the truck were not hurt.
According to a statement from the Highway Patrol, the vehicle's three occupants were not wearing safety restraints.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Tsarnaev friend implicates dead brother, self in murders 151 Comments
- Victims of deadly Oklahoma tornado 6 Photos
- Up-close video of Moore, Okla., tornado Play Video
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video
- AG Holder: Drones killed 4 Americans since 2009
- Tornado's destructive path 17 Photos
- Tornado victims start picking up the pieces
- Deadliest U.S. tornadoes 10 Photos