Beer in sippy cup: Phoenix mom Valerie Marie Topete jailed on child abuse
Mugshot of Valerie Marie Topete taken on July 4th, 2012 / Maricopa County Sheriff's Office
(AP) PHOENIX - A Phoenix mother has been arrested after authorities say she put beer in her 2-year-old son's sippy cup.
Phoenix police were called to a pizza restaurant Tuesday night after witnesses say they saw 36-year-old Valerie Marie Topete pour beer from a pitcher into her son's cup and then the child drank some of it.
Phoenix police say Topete admitted pouring the beer in the cup because the child kept reaching for the beer pitcher.
Officers examined the contents of the cup and determined the liquid was consistent with beer. The child was taken to a hospital for precautionary reasons and was later released to the care of his father.
Topete is being held on suspicion of child abuse. Police didn't know if she has a lawyer.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights 120 Comments
- Massive train collision takes down highway overpass
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 324 Comments
- Frantic 911 calls reveal chaos in Okla., following tornado
- Deadly Angel Flight crash in upstate New York
- Sandy-shocked Jersey Shore seeks summer comeback