Chicago sees 12 shootings in 4 hours as gang warfare rages on
This July 2012 file photo shows Chicago police at the scene of a gang-related shooting. / CBS
(CBS News) - A dozen people were shot and wounded Tuesday night in Chicago, a bloody start to the July 4 holiday in a city which has seen a dramatic rise in gang-related violence this year.
CBS 2 in Chicago, in conjunction with the Sun-Times Media Wire, reports that three people remained hospitalized in critical condition, and a 15-year-old boy shot while playing basketball was in serious condition.
At least five separate shootings were reported between 5 p.m. and just before 9 p.m., according to CBS 2.
CBS News correspondent Dean Reynolds reported earlier this week that, as of Monday, Chicago police had already reported 240 homicides in 2012.
"She died in my arms. That's what makes it so bad," the little girl's mother, Ashake Banks, told Reynolds. "She took her last breath in my arms."
"Bullets don't have no names on them, and they're just shooting at anybody," Heaven's uncle Tavares Harrington told CBS News.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights 140 Comments
- Thousands of U.S. bridges vulnerable to collapse
- Massive train collision takes down highway overpass
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Texas flooding turns deadly
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- Missouri train derailment 10 Photos
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 330 Comments