Grandma's pot cookies land 3-year-old Southern California boy in hospital
(AP) MURRIETA, Calif. - Police say a 3-year-old Southern California boy ended up in the hospital after eating his grandmother's marijuana-laced cookies.
Murietta police Sgt. Phil Gomez told the Riverside Press-Enterprise Monday that the grandmother, a cancer patient, had a doctor's recommendation to use marijuana to ease her pain.
Gomez says she had baked a batch of drug-laced cookies and stored them in a garage refrigerator.
The toddler's father had seen cookie crumbs in the garage but the family grew concerned only when they couldn't wake the toddler after more than 16 hours of sleep and realized he had consumed the cookies.
The child was observed at a hospital and released.
Investigators are awaiting toxicology tests. If marijuana is found in the child's system, family members could face child endangerment charges.
Popular on CBSNews.com
Photos: Underground shots of NYC's Second Ave. subway project New York City's Second Ave. subway was first conceived almost a century ago and when it is completed, it will extend all the way down the eastern side of Manhattan with 16 new stations. CBS News' Don Dahler reports on one of the most challenging public works projects in the country.
- Day care worker accused of drugging snacks for nap-time
- Report: U.S. teacher training an "industry of mediocrity"
- FAA approval sought for 650-foot-tall Vegas thrill ride
- Girl who lost feet in lawnmower gets prosthetics
- Shock as alleged Nazi unit leader, 94, found in U.S
- Feds digging in Mich. field for Jimmy Hoffa's remains
- Report: Pregnant workers face routine discrimination
- Church shooting in Ogden, Utah not a random act of violence Play Video