Mass. resident wins Virtual "Papa" Hemingway Look-Alike Contest
Richard Costello poses in his restaurant in Chatham, Mass. on July 2, 2012. / Amy Tagliaferri,AP Photo/Florida Keys News Bureau
(CBS/AP) KEY WEST, Fla. - A Massachusetts restaurateur has won a Facebook-based competition seeking the man who most looks like Ernest Hemingway.
Richard Costello of Chatham bested 86 other entrants in the Virtual "Papa" Hemingway Look-Alike Contest staged on the Florida Keys tourism council's Facebook page.
He wins a trip to Key West to compete in a preliminary round of a live "Papa" Hemingway Look-Alike Contest. The competition is to be staged at Sloppy Joe's Bar during the island's July 17-22 Hemingway Days festival. The festival also includes a marlin tournament and a short story contest organized by Lorian Hemingway, the author's granddaughter, CBS station WFOR in Miami reports.
Last week, Facebook users voted for their top choices. Previous Hemingway Look-Alike winners chose 71-year-old Costello from 10 finalists.
Costello decided to let his beard grow out in January and says he often receives comments about his resemblance to the late author.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Young victims of deadly Okla. tornado 8 Photos
- Tsarnaev friend implicates dead brother, self in murders 163 Comments
- Clean-up efforts underway in Okla. 29 Photos
- Boy Scouts to vote on allowing openly gay members 73 Comments
- Hard recovery in store after Okla. tornado's devastation
- Minn. park landslide leaves 1 child dead, 1 missing
- Body of child recovered from deadly Minn. landslide
- Up-close video of Moore, Okla., tornado Play Video