L.A. boy charged with shooting that killed baby
(AP) LOS ANGELES - A 15-year-old gang member has been charged with killing a 1-year-old boy who was shot as the toddler lay in his father's arms on a South Los Angeles street.
Donald Ray Dokins appeared in court Friday and a judge set his bail at $3 million, a day after he was charged with murder and attempted murder. He did not enter a plea and his arraignment was postponed until July 16.
Prosecutors contend Dokins rode up on a bicycle on June 4 and opened fire on a crowd standing outside a South Los Angeles home.
Angel Cortez Nava was fatally shot in the stomach as his father cradled him. The father, 24-year-old Mauro Cortez, was hit in the shoulder.
Authorities say the shooting was gang-related but Cortez wasn't in a gang.
Popular on CBSNews.com
Photos: Underground shots of NYC's Second Ave. subway project New York City's Second Ave. subway was first conceived almost a century ago and when it is completed, it will extend all the way down the eastern side of Manhattan with 16 new stations. CBS News' Don Dahler reports on one of the most challenging public works projects in the country.
- Reporter Michael Hastings dies at 33
- Google asks FISA court to lift gag order on NSA requests
- Tornado briefly touches down on Denver airport runways
- Girl who lost feet in lawnmower gets prosthetics
- Scientists say shipwreck timber in Lake Michigan centuries old
- Taliban: We killed 4 U.S. troops at Afghan air base
- FAA approval sought for 650-foot-tall Vegas thrill ride
- Report: U.S. teacher training an "industry of mediocrity"