L.A. boy charged with shooting that killed baby
(AP) LOS ANGELES - A 15-year-old gang member has been charged with killing a 1-year-old boy who was shot as the toddler lay in his father's arms on a South Los Angeles street.
Donald Ray Dokins appeared in court Friday and a judge set his bail at $3 million, a day after he was charged with murder and attempted murder. He did not enter a plea and his arraignment was postponed until July 16.
Prosecutors contend Dokins rode up on a bicycle on June 4 and opened fire on a crowd standing outside a South Los Angeles home.
Angel Cortez Nava was fatally shot in the stomach as his father cradled him. The father, 24-year-old Mauro Cortez, was hit in the shoulder.
Authorities say the shooting was gang-related but Cortez wasn't in a gang.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Tsarnaev friend implicates dead brother, self in murders 155 Comments
- Victims of deadly Oklahoma tornado 6 Photos
- Up-close video of Moore, Okla., tornado Play Video
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video
- Tornado's destructive path 17 Photos
- Minn. park landslide leaves 1 child dead, 1 missing
- Over 50 injured following Ind. school buses crash
- Tornado victims start picking up the pieces