FBI takes Peter Madoff into custody in NYC
Financier Bernard Madoff, left, and his brother Peter Madoff during July 2002 in Montauk, NY. / GI/BM/Getty Images
(AP) NEW YORK - The FBI has taken Bernard Madoff's brother, Peter, into custody as a federal judge in New York prepares to accept his plea to criminal charges.
FBI spokesman J. Peter Donald says Madoff was taken into custody at his lawyer's Manhattan office around 7 a.m. EDT Friday.
The procedure was a prelude to a court appearance scheduled a few hours later.
Madoff is scheduled to enter a plea to conspiracy and falsifying records. The government told a judge that he has agreed to serve 10 years in prison and relinquish his fortune.
The plea by the 66-year-old chief compliance officer at the Madoff investment business comes three years after his brother admitted to mammoth fraud.
Bernard Madoff is serving a 150-year prison term. He has insisted he carried out his fraud alone for decades, cheating thousands of people of billions of dollars.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Tsarnaev friend implicates dead brother, self in murders 147 Comments
- Victims of deadly Oklahoma tornado 6 Photos
- Up-close video of Moore, Okla., tornado Play Video
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video
- Tornado's destructive path 17 Photos
- Tornado victims start picking up the pieces
- Deadliest U.S. tornadoes 10 Photos
- AG Holder: Drones killed 4 Americans since 2009