11-year old N.Y. girl electrocuted while playing mini golf in Fla.
Mini golf course at Orange Lake Resort. / WKMG
(CBS/AP) ORLANDO, Fla. - A medical examiner says an 11-year-old New York girl was electrocuted while trying to retrieve a ball from a pond at a time-share resort's miniature golf course near Orlando.
Orange County deputies say Ashton Jojo cried out in pain Wednesday afternoon as she stepped into the 2-foot-deep pond. Orange Lake Resort guest Christopher Burges of Alabama heard her screams and tried to rescue her. He was also injured.
The girl died shortly after arriving at Florida Hospital Celebration.
The Orlando Sentinel reports that the Orange-Osceola Medical Examiner confirmed electrocution as the cause of death Thursday.
A building safety department official said that the electrocution was likely caused by a possible faulty pump connected to an improper circuit breaker, reports CBS affiliate WKMG.
Authorities say the Latham, N.Y., girl turned 11 on Friday. She was visiting Orlando with her parents and brother.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- O.J. Simpson's ex-lawyer contradicts his testimony on guns
- Probe begins after Conn. commuter trains collide
- Dozens injured as commuter trains collide in Conn.
- Seven-time lottery winner shares secret to winning Powerball
- Why marry? Three generations tell their wedding stories
- New Yorker's Strongbox: Can it shield anonymous sources?
- Navy pilot earns degree in combat zone
- Tornadoes rip through northern Texas 17 Photos