4.2-magnitude quake shakes northern Nevada
(AP) RENO, Nev. - Authorities say that parts of northern Nevada have been shaken by a small earthquake.
A preliminary report from the U.S. Geological Survey says the magnitude-4.2 quake struck at 8:51 p.m. Friday at a depth of about seven miles. The temblor was centered about 16 miles southwest of Reno, and was felt by residents in a wide area around Reno and Carson City.
There were no reports of damage.
The quake was followed by a series of aftershocks later Friday night and early Saturday morning, including one that was magnitude 2.6.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights 141 Comments
- Thousands of U.S. bridges vulnerable to collapse
- Massive train collision takes down highway overpass
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Missouri train derailment 10 Photos
- Texas flooding turns deadly
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 330 Comments