4.2-magnitude quake shakes northern Nevada
(AP) RENO, Nev. - Authorities say that parts of northern Nevada have been shaken by a small earthquake.
A preliminary report from the U.S. Geological Survey says the magnitude-4.2 quake struck at 8:51 p.m. Friday at a depth of about seven miles. The temblor was centered about 16 miles southwest of Reno, and was felt by residents in a wide area around Reno and Carson City.
There were no reports of damage.
The quake was followed by a series of aftershocks later Friday night and early Saturday morning, including one that was magnitude 2.6.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Long Island police defend Hofstra student killing 289 Comments
- Officials confirm there's only 1 winning Powerball ticket
- Small Fla. town wonders who the Powerball winner is
- Allegedly random murder, "hate crime," stuns NYC
- Powerful thunderstorms rumble through hard-hit Midwest
- Winning tickets sought in $588M Powerball jackpot
- Could cop have avoided accidentally killing NY student? 69 Comments
- The War in Chicago