32-pound 10-year-old found locked in Mo. closet
(AP) KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Authorities say a 10-year-old Kansas City girl who weighed just 32 pounds was found locked in a closet that reeked of urine.
Prosecutors filed charges of assault and child abuse and endangerment against the girl's 29-year-old mother Saturday in Jackson County Circuit Court. The Associated Press is not naming the mother to protect the child's identity.
Officers freed the girl from the closet after responding Friday morning to a call to a child abuse hotline. The mother was arrested later after she was found with two younger children.
The other two children appeared healthy and have been placed in protective custody. Court documents say the mother wouldn't let the 10-year-old leave the house because she knows the girl is malnourished and would "get in trouble if someone saw her."
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Children rescued from two elementary schools in Oklahoma 19 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado recovery grinds on amid grim scenes 165 Comments
- Tornado's destructive path 17 Photos
- More severe weather expected after monster tornado
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video
- Deadliest U.S. tornadoes 10 Photos
- Twisters touch down in the Midwest 13 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado carves trail of destruction Play Video