Calif. woman who tried to sell baby gets 4 years
(AP) SALINAS, Calif. - A California woman who tried to sell her baby outside a Walmart is going to prison for four years after she asked a judge to lock her up because she'd probably violate probation again.
Samantha Tomasini, of Salinas, was arrested in June 2010 after witnesses reported that she and her boyfriend Patrick Fousek were offering their 8-month-old daughter for $25.
Tomasini pleaded no contest to child endangerment, and she was sentenced to four years' probation and placed in a drug treatment program. But she was re-arrested last year for violating probation.
The Monterey Herald reports Judge Pamela Butler sentenced Tomasini on Wednesday after hearing her request for prison time.
Prosecutors say Tomasini and Fousek were regular methamphetamine users and appeared high when they were arrested. The child has since been adopted.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Small Fla. town wonders who the Powerball winner is
- Officials confirm there's only 1 winning Powerball ticket
- Long Island police defend Hofstra student killing 307 Comments
- Powerful thunderstorms rumble through hard-hit Midwest
- Could cop have avoided accidentally killing NY student? 84 Comments
- Allegedly random murder, "hate crime," stuns NYC
- Winning tickets sought in $588M Powerball jackpot
- FBI Agent Killed In Robbery Play Video