N.J. school official sorry for graduation sniper joke
(AP) WEST MILFORD, N.J. - A New Jersey school board official is apologizing for joking during a commencement speech about a sniper being inside the football stadium.
School board vice president Wayne Gottlieb made the comment while filling in Tuesday at West Milford High's graduation for board president David Richards.
Gottlieb said, "To the sniper up in the box, this is not Mr. Richards." Looking under the podium, he added: "There aren't any explosives under here, right?"
Gottlieb tells The Record of Woodland Park he was trying to provide a light moment and was alluding to school board tensions. If people were offended, he says he apologizes.
The board president says a student would have been suspended for making such a remark. He says the event was a graduation, not a roast.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Massive tornado hits Okla. 60 Photos
- Mile-wide tornado rips through Oklahoma City area
- Children rescued from elementary school in Okla. 11 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado carves trail of destruction Play Video
- At least 51 dead after massive Okla. tornado
- Severe tornado tears through Oklahoma City suburb Play Video
- Record Fla. Powerball winner can't remain anonymous
- Another tornado touches down near Oklahoma City