NC sterilization victim angry budget lacks compensation
(AP) RALEIGH, N.C. - A woman who was 14 years old when the state of North Carolina forcibly sterilized her says she is angry victims of the program will not receive any compensation.
Elaine Riddick of Atlanta said Wednesday she's considering legal action against the state for sterilizing her and other people decades ago.
Legislators announced a budget deal Wednesday that doesn't include money for sterilization victims. The House had approved $50,000 for victims who were alive as of March 1, 2010.
If lawmakers had approved the compensation, the state would have been the first in the country to pay victims of sterilization.
State officials sterilized more than 7,600 people in North Carolina from 1929 to 1974 under eugenics programs.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- TWA Flight 800 gets another look 17 years later 104 Comments
- America's endangered historic places 11 Photos
- Reporter Michael Hastings dies at 33
- FBI: No sign of Jimmy Hoffa's body in Detroit suburb
- Serena Williams sorry for "what I supposedly said" on rape
- Taliban: We killed 4 U.S. troops at Afghan air base
- TWA Flight 800 disaster - a look back 19 Photos
- Scientists say shipwreck timber in Lake Michigan centuries old