Panetta says no unauthorized info to filmmakers
U.S. Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta delivers a speech on Indo-U.S. defense relations at the Institute for Defense Studies and Analysis in New Delhi June 6, 2012. / AP Photo
(AP) WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Leon Panetta says no unauthorized information was provided to filmmakers producing a movie on the raid that killed Osama bin Laden.
Panetta, the former CIA director, told the Senate Wednesday that there is a Defense Department office that works with movie producers. But he insisted that no one in the department released any unauthorized material.
Republican Rep. Peter King of New York has argued that the CIA and Pentagon jeopardized national security by cooperating too closely with director Kathryn Bigelow and screenwriter Mark Boal. The two won Academy Awards for the motion picture "The Hurt Locker."
Last month, King cited documents obtained by Judicial Watch in a Freedom of Information Act request. He said the filmmakers received "extremely close, unprecedented and potentially dangerous collaboration" from the Obama administration.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights 123 Comments
- Massive train collision takes down highway overpass
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 327 Comments
- Deadly Angel Flight crash in upstate New York
- Thousands of U.S. bridges vulnerable to collapse
- Frantic 911 calls reveal chaos in Okla., following tornado