Funeral held for Miami man in face chewing attack
Rudy Eugene (undated mugshot)
(AP) MIAMI - Mourners are gathering to remember the man police say chewed off the face of a homeless man on a busy Miami highway.
A funeral was held Saturday for 31-year-old Rudy Eugene. Police shot and killed Eugene during a bizarre attack over Memorial Day weekend. The Miami Herald reported about 150 people attended the service.
The program handed out at the funeral described Eugene as "a boy who aspired to the best, to a man who was focused on enjoying his piece of the American dream" by owning a car-detailing business.
Eugene's brother, Marckenson Eugene, said his brother was always there for him and often helped him pay the bills when money was tight.
It's not clear what led to the attack on Ronald Poppo. The homeless man remains hospitalized.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- O.J. Simpson's ex-lawyer contradicts his testimony on guns
- Probe begins after Conn. commuter trains collide
- Dozens injured as commuter trains collide in Conn.
- Seven-time lottery winner shares secret to winning Powerball
- Why marry? Three generations tell their wedding stories
- Navy pilot earns degree in combat zone
- New Yorker's Strongbox: Can it shield anonymous sources?
- Tornadoes rip through northern Texas 17 Photos