18-year-old dies in 400-foot fall in Yellowstone
Canyon in Yellowstone National Park / AP Graphics
(AP) YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. - The National Park Service says an 18-year-old woman has died after falling 400 feet in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone.
The Park Service says she was a Yellowstone concession employee on her first day in the park. She was hiking a canyon trail with three other acquaintances when she ventured off trail onto a loose rock promontory, which gave way underneath her.
The accident occurred near Inspiration Point Thursday afternoon. Her body was retrieved Friday.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- TWA Flight 800 gets another look 17 years later 103 Comments
- America's endangered historic places 11 Photos
- Reporter Michael Hastings dies at 33 51 Comments
- FBI: No sign of Jimmy Hoffa's body in Detroit suburb 47 Comments
- Serena Williams sorry for "what I supposedly said" on rape
- Taliban: We killed 4 U.S. troops at Afghan air base
- TWA Flight 800 disaster - a look back 19 Photos
- Scientists say shipwreck timber in Lake Michigan centuries old