Puppies tied to tree under bees, 3 die, 2 hurt
crime scene tape generic / AP
(AP) FALLBROOK, Calif. - Animal services officials are seeking a suspect who tied five puppies to a tree under an active beehive in San Diego County. Three of the dogs were found dead and two were critically injured.
County spokeswoman Tracy DeFore says firefighters discovered a gruesome scene when responding to a suspicious fire in a Fallbrook field Thursday at about noon.
Approximately 25 feet from the fire, the puppies were found under a tree, bound to its trunk.
Two 5-month-old Jack Russell Terriers died from strangulation, most likely a result of their desperate attempts to escape the swarm of bees.
A five-month-old Rottweiler died from unknown causes.
Two more puppies were stung dozens of times and have been receiving around-the-clock care.
Investigators are seeking witnesses who can describe the person who left them.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Wave of tornadoes sweeps Midwest 20 Photos
- Deadly twisters tear through Oklahoma
- Firefighter killed in massive Dallas condo fire
- Could cop have avoided accidentally killing NY student? 146 Comments
- Long Island police defend Hofstra student killing 330 Comments
- Conn. train collision ruins commute for 1,000s in Northeast
- Small Fla. town wonders who the Powerball winner is
- The War in Chicago