Nioshka Bello gets life in prison for strangling her toddler daughter with bra
Nioshka Bello, seen in a booking photo provided by Seminole County's John E. Polk Correctional Facility. / Seminole County Correctional Dept.
(AP) SANFORD, Fla. - A central Florida woman has been sentenced to life in prison for strangling her toddler daughter with a bra.
A Seminole County jury found 24-year-old Nioshka Bello guilty Wednesday of first-degree murder, and a judge sentenced the woman immediately after that.
Authorities say Bello strangled 2-year-old Janessa Sandoval in September 2009 in a Casselberry home. Bello had argued with the child's father and believed that she would be left homeless the next day. Bello was taken into custody several days after the toddler's death.
The Orlando Sentinel reports that Bello spent months in a state mental hospital after being found incompetent to stand trial. But a judge reviewed medical reports last November and ruled that Bello was well enough to proceed.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Tsarnaev friend implicates dead brother, self in murders 137 Comments
- Tornado victims start picking up the pieces
- Tornado's destructive path 17 Photos
- Up-close video of Moore, Okla., tornado Play Video
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video
- Deadliest U.S. tornadoes 10 Photos
- Brigadier general suspended over altercation with woman
- 2 infants among 10 kids killed in Oklahoma tornado