LAPD: Boy, 1, dead after shot by teen on bike
Police respond to the scene of a shooting in Los Angeles, where a 1-year-old boy and his father were targeted by a suspect on a bicycle, June 4, 2012. / CBS Los Angeles
(CBS/AP) LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles police say a 1-year-old boy has died after he and his father were shot by a teenager on a bicycle.
Police Capt. Phillip Tingirides tells CBS station KCAL-TV that the teen rode the bike past the 24-year-old father and boy as they stood on a sidewalk in front of a home in Watts and fired several rounds Monday evening. Tingirides says the baby was hit once in the torso and the father was hit once in the shoulder.
The Los Angeles Times reports that police say the boy died at about 11 p.m. at a hospital, where he had undergone emergency surgery.
The suspect fled and hasn't been arrested.
Police could not immediately name a motive, but Tingirides says investigators were leaning heavily toward gang rivalry being the cause.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Tsarnaev friend implicates dead brother, self in murders 151 Comments
- Victims of deadly Oklahoma tornado 6 Photos
- Up-close video of Moore, Okla., tornado Play Video
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video
- AG Holder: Drones killed 4 Americans since 2009
- Tornado's destructive path 17 Photos
- Tornado victims start picking up the pieces
- Deadliest U.S. tornadoes 10 Photos