Missing Louisiana student Michaela "Mickey" Shunick's bike found under bridge
Michaela "Mickey" Shunick is seen in an undated personal photo. / Personal photo
(CBS/AP) LAFAYETTE, La. - A missing Louisiana woman's bicycle has been found in a remote, swampy area under a highway bridge in Iberville Parish, about 25 miles from the spot where she was last seen eight days earlier.
Lafayette police spokesman Paul Mouton said Sunday that more than 30 officers searched the area, including a river, for 21-year-old Michaela "Mickey" Shunick, a student at the University of Louisiana.
The Advertiser reported that search dogs were set to work under the bridge and St. Martin Parish sheriff's deputies rode all-terrain vehicles in the woods, while a Louisiana State Police helicopter flew low over the area.
Shunick, of Lafayette, was last seen about 1:45 a.m. on May 19, when she left a friend's house to go home. A video taken about that time showed her and, separately, a late-model, white, four-door pickup truck.Police say Shunick is a 5'1" white female, with blonde hair and weights 115 pounds. She was last seen wearing a pastel, multi-colored striped shirt, light wash skinny jeans and grey shoes. Shunick departed the residence on a black Schwinn bicycle with gold handle bar grips and wearing a brown leather backpack purse. It is believed that she was going to her residence near the intersection of Ambassador Caffery Parkway and Congress Street in Lafayette.
Detectives are asking anyone with any information about the case to contact the Lafayette Police Department or Crime Stoppers at 232-TIPS.
More on this story from Crimesider:
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 280 Comments
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- No fatalities in I-5 bridge collapse in NW Wash. 141 Comments
- Earthquake, multiple aftershocks jolt Californians
- Clean-up efforts underway in Okla. 29 Photos
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys 1125 Comments