Haircut depicting NBA's Matt Bonner earns Patrick Gonzalez, 12, a suspension
This family photo shows Patrick Gonzalez, 12, with an image of San Antonio Spurs' Matt Bonner shaved into his head, May 15, 2012. / AP
(AP) SAN ANTONIO - A 12-year-old Texas boy who was suspended from school after shaving his head to resemble the face of Spurs forward Matt Bonner scored tickets to a playoff game and props from his favorite NBA player.
Patrick Gonzalez was suspended for a day from Woodlake Hills Middle School because the school district deemed his $75 haircut a distraction. He returned to class Thursday after reluctantly shaving his head.
Gonzalez says Bonner is his favorite player, noting they're both redheads.
Bonner, whose mother is a teacher, says the school could have just moved Gonzalez to the back of the room. Bonner encouraged Gonzalez to "keep supporting us redheads in the NBA."
Gonzalez's story prompted the Spurs to give him and his family tickets to Thursday's playoff game against the Clippers.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Small Fla. town wonders who the Powerball winner is
- Officials confirm there's only 1 winning Powerball ticket
- Long Island police defend Hofstra student killing 307 Comments
- Could cop have avoided accidentally killing NY student? 84 Comments
- Allegedly random murder, "hate crime," stuns NYC
- Winning tickets sought in $588M Powerball jackpot
- FBI Agent Killed In Robbery Play Video
- The War in Chicago