Family says girl injured in Cracker Barrel shooting has died
Kevin Allen / CBS/WOIO
(CBS/AP) CLEVELAND - Family members say a 10-year-old Ohio girl critically injured in April in a restaurant shooting by her father that killed her mother and her sister has died.
A Cleveland area hospice has released a family statement saying Kayla Allen died on Tuesday.
Police say Kayla was shot April 12 when her father, Kevin Allen, killed his wife, Katherina, and their other 10-year-old daughter, Kerri, with a shotgun at a Cracker Barrel restaurant in Brooklyn, a Cleveland suburb. Police shot and killed him outside the restaurant.
Kayla had been hospitalized in critical condition for about a month before her condition worsened. She was moved into hospice care on Friday.
Kevin Allen's wife told police in a 911 call before the shooting she had just told him she was leaving him and that he wasn't taking it well. She told authorities he was in his car and circling the lot.Ohio man kills wife and daughter in shooting rampage at Cracker Barrel
When police arrived at the scene, they heard gunshots and then saw Allen exiting the restaurant through the front door while holding a gun. Officers ordered him to surrender and he did not comply. Law enforcement reportedly exchanged fire with the gunman before eventually fatally shooting him.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Children rescued from two elementary schools in Oklahoma 18 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado recovery grinds on amid grim scenes 120 Comments
- More severe weather expected after monster tornado
- Tornado's destructive path 12 Photos
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video
- Oklahoma tornado carves trail of destruction Play Video
- Severe tornado tears through Oklahoma City suburb Play Video
- Mile-wide tornado rips through Oklahoma City area 62 Comments