N.J. panel recommends minors should be banned from using tanning beds
Patricia Krentcil, 44, waits to be arraigned at the Essex County Superior Court, on May 2, 2012 in Newark, N.J. / AP Photo/Julio Cortez
(CBS/AP) TRENTON, N.J. - A legislative panel has approved plans to bar anyone under 18 from using tanning beds in New Jersey.
The Assembly's Women and Children Committee passed the measure Monday by a 5-0 vote, though two members abstained. It now heads to the full Assembly for consideration, but it's not known when a vote will be held.
'Tanning mom' Patricia Krentcil banned from over 60 tanning salons, report says
'Tanning mom' Patricia Krentcil blasts her critics: "They're jealous, they're fat and they're ugly"
"Bronzed" NJ mom Patricia Krentcil pleads not guilty to putting daughter in tanning booth
The bill expands a 2006 state law that banned tanning bed use by anyone under 14, and requires written parental consent for those ages 14 to 17.
The issue has seen renewed interest after a Nutley woman named Patricia Krentcil was accused this month of taking her 6-year-old daughter into a tanning booth. That allegedly resulted in burns to the child's skin, and the woman has pleaded not guilty to child endangerment.
According to CBS station WCBS in New York, Krentcil admitted to an excessive tanning problem but "would never permit" her daughter to go tanning in a salon with her. The mother claims that her daughter got the burns from playing out in the sun in their backyard. While she admitted to bringing the child to a tanning salon, she said the child waited outside while her mother tanned in the booth.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Massive tornado hits Okla. 60 Photos
- Children rescued from elementary school in Okla. 11 Photos
- At least 51 dead after massive Okla. tornado 91 Comments
- Oklahoma tornado carves trail of destruction Play Video
- Mile-wide tornado rips through Oklahoma City area
- Severe tornado tears through Oklahoma City suburb Play Video
- 20 children among at least 51 left dead by Okla. tornado
- Oklahoma tornado as seen by storm chasers Play Video