Fla. man's remains found buried in backyard
The Charlotte County Sheriff's Office uncovered the body of a man buried behind a home in Port Charlotte, Fla., Sunday, May 13, 2012. The ex-boyfriend of the elderly resident's caretaker was charged with first degree murder. / WINK
(CBS/AP) PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. - A southwest Florida man has been charged with first-degree murder after detectives uncovered human remains in a grave dug outside a Port Charlotte home.
The Charlotte County Sheriff's Office said the victim's caretaker called detectives Saturday to say she was concerned about the well-being of the 74-year-old man, who had gone missing. The caretaker had been out of town for a few days and became worried after speaking with her ex-boyfriend, Juan Reyes.
Reyes, 47, lived at the home with the man and his caretaker.
Captain Bill Prummell told CBS Affiliate WINK that Reyes was brought in for questioning and, based on that, "we believe that the elderly gentleman had succumb to some injuries by the boyfriend."
Investigators received a search warrant shortly after 3 p.m. Saturday and began combing the scene, some carrying shovels. Deputies noticed freshly-raked soil covered by branches in the yard along the side of the property, and discovered the remains of a white male underground.
The body has been taken to the medical examiner's office for identification and to determine cause of death. The victim's name is not being released at this time.
CBS Affiliate WINK reports Reyes is being held without bond at the Charlotte County Jail.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- 1 winning ticket sold in Fla. on Powerball
- Powerball frenzy locks down most possible number combos
- Authorities: N.Y. college student was killed by police 49 Comments
- Crash in small Va. town injures dozens during parade
- The War in Chicago
- Seven-time lottery winner shares secret to winning Powerball
- Official: Broken rail eyed in Conn. train crash
- Texas tornado survivors start to return home