NATO video promoting Chicago summit misses mark on where Obama grew up, Illinois capital city
The Chicago skyline is seen Dec. 24, 2011. / AFP/Getty Images
(CBS/AP) CHICAGO - It seems NATO may also stand for Not All That Observant.
A video released ahead of the upcoming North Atlantic Treaty Organization summit in Chicago gets a few things wrong: the capital of Illinois, where President Obama grew up, and the founder of the Chicago Tribune.
The narrator of the five-minute video says Chicago is the capital city. It's actually Springfield. The video says Obama grew up in Chicago, but the president spent his childhood in Hawaii and Indonesia. He moved to Chicago as an adult.
The narrator also says the Chicago Tribune was founded by Colonel Robert McCormick, for whom the McCormick Place convention center is named and where the summit is being held. Three other men founded the newspaper, which first reported the video mistakes. (Watch the erroneous video here)
On the site that originally posted the video, NATOchannel.tv, a new video appears with the errors removed from the narration.
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Port Authority releases photo of One WTC workers at dizzying heights 140 Comments
- Thousands of U.S. bridges vulnerable to collapse
- Massive train collision takes down highway overpass
- Washington state bridge collapses 20 Photos
- Texas flooding turns deadly
- Best U.S. beaches 2013 10 Photos
- Missouri train derailment 10 Photos
- Bridge collapse blamed on tractor-trailer 330 Comments