Mississippi Governor Phil Bryant says left's "one mission in life is to abort children"
Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant / AP Photo
(AP) JACKSON, Miss. - Mississippi's Republican governor had new harsh words for proponents of legalized abortion this week, saying, "their one mission in life is to abort children, is to kill children in the womb."
Gov. Phil Bryant made the comments Tuesday on the Internet talk show of Tim Wildmon, president of the American Family Association.
The governor was discussing a new abortion restriction law requiring doctors who perform abortions at a clinic to be certified OB-GYNs with admitting privileges at a local hospital. He said opposition to the bill came from the political left.
The House Democratic leader says Bryant's comments went "totally, totally too far," especially because Mississippi voters rejected a personhood amendment declaring life begins at conception.
The owner of Mississippi's sole abortion clinic plans legal action to block the law.Political stress erupting in Mississippi Capitol
Miss. House defiant, passes "personhood" bill
Popular on CBSNews.com
- Powerball frenzy locks down most possible number combos
- Crash in small Va. town injures dozens during parade
- Seven-time lottery winner shares secret to winning Powerball
- Texas tornado survivors start to return home
- Probe begins after Conn. commuter trains collide
- O.J. Simpson's ex-lawyer contradicts his testimony on guns
- Official: Broken rail eyed in Conn. train crash
- Why marry? Three generations tell their wedding stories